1 John (1)
This is an introduction to John's first letter, kicking off a series of sermons on it.
John of the letter has been identified with the evangelist.
• Why was it written - 5:13. To reassure believers.
• Why was it necessary - 2:26. In response to a crisis in the church.
It is a bit like mixing a cake - various ingredients being added:
2. Appearance - a focus on the Incarnation - seeing and touching Jesus. John was a witness.
3. Eternal life
4. Fellowship - with each other and the Father and Son.
5. Light - the first statement on the nature of God.
6. The death of Jesus
7. Sin - we need cleansing and deliverance.
9. Atoning sacrifice
10. The whole world