God’s Gifts or My Gifts?
The Corinthian church was divided in many ways. Paul is addressing divisions over corporate worship.
What is the Church?
1. The Church is made up of all who have trusted in Christ and been baptised in the Spirit, united in Christ in one body.
2. Unity does not mean uniformity.
3. The Church is a diverse group of individuals united in Christ.
4. There is unity and diversity as regards spiritual gifts.
1. Why does God give spiritual gifts? God is working through them to transform his Church.
2. To whom does he give them? They are given to every Christian.
3. What are spiritual gifts? There is a huge range of gifts, some very ordinary. As they are used, God is at work among us.
1. Don't neglect your gifts.
2. Don't ever say: 'I don't belong.'.
3. Don't boast about your gifts.
4. Don't ever think that anyone else is dispensable.
5. Don't be envious or resentful about your gifts.
6. Without love spiritual gifts are worthless.
The congregation read 1 Corinthians 12:31 to 13:13 at the end of the sermon.