Is salvation earned or a free gift? There was a blurry line between Judaism and Christianity. Are Christians bound by the Law?
1. Our relationship with God rests wholly on what God has done. Jesus came to keep the Law perfectly and to die in our place. We cannot perfectly keep God's Law. Does God give his Spirit because we have earned that gift or by faith? Our relationship is grounded in grace, not our efforts.
2. Paul bases his argument on Abraham, whose relationship with God was based on his trust in God.
3. Paul's readers were thinking that the Law replaced God's covenant with Abraham. It didn't do so, it was added. If you are a Christian, you are part of the Abrahamic covenant.
4. The Law shows us our sinfulness and rebellion, and increases it. God wants us to know that we cannot save ourselves and turn to him.
What does it mean for us?
1. Our relationship with God does not depend on us being 'good'. Jesus was the only good person.
2. We must allow the truth of God's word to transform us by renewing our minds.